Q. Can you suggest climbing roses that are black spot resistant?
NYBG's Peggy Rockefeller Rose garden now features many disease-resistant roses, following the addition of 1,700 disease-resistant rose plants in recent years.
Climbing roses that are disease resistant, especially to the black spot disease so prevalent in our area (Zone 7), are listed below. Most can be grown either in pots or in ground. Roses are usually ordered early in fall, since many sell out fast from the vendor--especially mail order companies. If you can't get them from a mail order nursery, you can plant container-grown roses from reliable nurseries.
Here are some disease-resistant climbing rose varieties:
- Rosa 'Jasmina'™ --fragrant, blooms a lot, pink, old-fashioned look
- Rosa 'Amadeus'™--fire red, vigorous growth, double blooms
- Rosa 'Moonlight'™--yellow tinged with pink, semi-double blooms
- Rosa 'Rosanna'™--deep pink double flowers
- Rosa 'Spirit of Freedom'--light pink, strong fragrance
- Rosa 'Sally Holmes'--creamy white, single blooms
For tips on a variety of gardening topics, see our Plant Information Guides.
- Courtesy of NYBG Plant Information Service