Q. What can I do in summer for my garden?
Here is a list of chores to tackle in the summer months to help your garden remain prosperous:
- Cultivate planting beds to remove weeds
- Dig and divide early-blooming perennials after flowering
- Water, water, water as necessary
- Continue to mulch planting beds
- Set supports for floppy plants, vines and vegetables
- Deadhead rhododendrons, lilacs and perennials after flowering
- Add to, aerate and moisten compost pile to speed decomposition
- Continue to check for pests and other problems and treat as necessary
- Mow lawns regularly to keep grass at 2 to 2 1/2 " height
- Leave grass clippings on lawn to improve availability of nitrogen
- Water lawns if there is less than 1" of rain per week
For more summer garden care advice, see our Summer Gardening Chores Guide.
Courtesy of the NYBG Plant Information Service
Was this helpful? 0 0