Q. What gardening chores are important in July?
As your garden matures and the weather becomes increasingly hot and dry, garden moisture and maintenance are essential elements of garden care this month.
- If the weather has been dry, practice water-wise horticultural techniques
- Determine which plants are most important and water them first
- Water plants early in the day through drip irrigation or hand held hose with shut off nozzle
- Reapply mulch to help conserve moisture
- Allow lawns to go dormant; they will green up again when rain returns
- Continue to remove weeds which compete for water
For a helpful list of garden maintenance chores for the month, see our guide Summer Gardening Chores - July.
And to solve some of your summer gardening problems, refer to our FAQ's for Summer Gardening guide.
Courtesy of the NYBG Plant Information Service