What should I do with dead hemlock trees that have been infected with wooly adelgid?


Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) are invasive insects of serious concern to all hemlock populations in the Eastern United States. The need to protect unaffected populations requires very careful handling and disposal of infected tree materials. The procedure may include notifying local and/or state officials and may be determined by your state's Department of Environmental Conservation. (New York state protocol is available here)

Contact your county's cooperative extension office for information on the local regulations and procedures. You can find help navigating to your state's cooperative extension system from this guide. Once you have found your State's cooperative extension system, you can select your county for contact information.

If you have detected HWA on your property, an excellent Guide to HWA Management for Landowners is available from Cornell University's New York State Hemlock Initiative.

Courtesy of NYBG Plant Information Service

Documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupnMjYaI0Q

  • Last Updated Jan 18, 2023
  • Views 422
  • Answered By Leslie Coleman

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0 0

Ask a plant expert

Send us an email or use the question form below.

Submit a question

Before submitting your question, try searching our Plant and Gardening FAQ page and Help Guides. Still need help? Fill out the form below and a plant expert will answer your individual plant and gardening questions. We will respond to questions in the order we receive them.

Your Question
Your Info

Our system doesn't track which FAQ page you are viewing before you fill out the question form. If you have a specific question related to one of our FAQ entries, please indicate it above so we can better understand your question.

Fields marked with * are required.