Q. Why is my Ficus lyrata (fiddle-leaf fig) dropping its leaves?
Sudden dropping leaves are the language of distress for your ficus and it is telling you that something is wrong in its environment.
- Has the temperature risen or fallen outside the usual steady range, even briefly, in its micro-environment in your home?
- Has it been exposed to a warm or cool draft from a heat source, air conditioner, trip home from the nursery, door or window?
- Has there been a seasonal change but the watering schedule hasn't been adjusted to reflect new rates of water uptake?
- Is the watering routine irregular?
- Is water draining properly and the run-off being removed?
- Is it begging you for more light?
In some cases, like roots that have rotted from overwatering, the damage may not be repairable. For more minor issues, review the proper care steps In our Guide to Fiddle-leaf Fig Care and make necessary changes to gradually restore your plant's health.
Courtesy of NYBG Plant Information Service